The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) State Council for Teacher Training, Recruitment, and Retention (Council TTRR) is comprised of representation from PMEA higher education members and leadership from HS Future Music Educators Honors Symposium, PCMEA, mentors, Society for Music Teacher Education, TRI-M, retired members, and the PA Department of Education Fine Arts Education Consultant. With a focus on “the life cycle of a music educator,” it serves as an advisory committee for other PMEA councils as it seeks and proposes programs or resources for the career development of pre-college, pre-service, first-year through veteran, and retired PA music teachers.
The Council TTRR three subcommittees announced the following Focus Areas and Goals for 2017-2021:
- Training of pre-college, pre-service, in-service, and retired members in career development to support professionalism, career exploration, growth and change, and personal goal setting.
- Recruitment of quality and engaged candidates to college music education programs.
- Retention and engagement of urban, rural, minority, disadvantaged, and more diverse music teachers and students in the profession.
Council TTRR Advisors
Feel free to contact these council members for inquiries or additional information:
- Nora Burridge: high school prep for becoming a music education major
- David Deitz: PDE, data/research
- Craig Denison: PCMEA, data/research, music education, music psychology
- Paul Doerksen: pre-service training, student teaching
- Paul Fox: ethics, retirement, pre-service training
- Susan Metelsky: TRI-M
- Teri Myers: mentoring, job shadowing, webinars
- Kevin Shorner-Johnson: Society for Music Teacher Training
“New Realities in Teacher Training” SEADAE, PAEA, and PSBA Conference Handout (2018)
Survey results sent to PA School Superintendents about the hiring practices and need for music and art teachers over the past five years: https://www.surveymonkey.com/
The following resources are provided for students (and their teachers) to assist in the pre-college training and preparation of potential future music education majors.
- Preparing for a Music Education Major – Guide for HS Students and Counselors
- Resources for Prospective HS Students Planning to Become Music Educators
- So You Want to Be a Music Education Major
- So You Have a Student Who Wants to Follow in Our Footsteps
- Have You Considered Becoming a Music Education Major?
- So You Want to Become a Music Major
- Two-page flier “Prepping for Music Education” (for HS students and their directors)
- PCMEA video “Advice from the Collegiates” (for HS students planning to major in music education)
Catalog of supplemental materials for music teacher training, recruitment, and retention: