The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) State Council for Teacher Training, Recruitment, and Retention (Council TTRR) is comprised of representation from PMEA higher education members and leadership from HS Future Music Educators Honors Symposium, PCMEA, mentors, Society for Music Teacher Education, TRI-M, retired members, and the PA Department of Education Fine Arts Education Consultant. With a focus on “the life cycle of a music educator,” it serves as an advisory committee for other PMEA councils as it seeks and proposes programs or resources for the career development of pre-college, pre-service, first-year through veteran, and retired PA music teachers.
The Council TTRR three subcommittees announced the following Focus Areas and Goals for 2017-2022:
- Training of pre-college, pre-service, in-service, and retired members in career development to support professionalism, career exploration, growth and change, and personal goal setting.
- Recruitment of quality and engaged candidates to college music education programs.
- Retention and engagement of urban, rural, minority, disadvantaged, and more diverse music teachers and students in the profession.
Virtual Music Learning – Engaging Students Online
Also visit Preparing for the Future
(Download documents first for quick/click access to URLs)
For a guided tour, check out this “Quick-Start” video.
- Virtual Performances of PMEA members and PA ensembles
- Sample Resources for Teaching Music Online – UD Undergrads
- Teaching Online Lesson Basics 101 by Susanna Sonnenberg
- Teaching Music from Home Ideas (District 1 Aaron Booz)
- Teaching Arts Online (March 2020) and Music Resources (April 2020)
- Virtual Learning Resources – Ideas from NAfME Members for Music Educators
- Online Music Education (ongoing updates + all of the above)
Model Code of Ethics for Educators
“Motion from the PMEA TTRR Council: the PMEA State Board officially adopt the Model Code of Ethics for Educators (MCEE) as published by the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification, and furthermore, will provide professional development on the MCEE in future workshops and conference sessions.”Passed unanimously at the Virtual Meeting of the PMEA Board on July 20, 2020
Do you have 27 minutes to spare on the subject of ethics in education?
View this video on PMEA’s Adoption of the Model Code of Ethics for Educators.
2021 TEACHER ETHICS WEBINARS
Part I “The Basics” on January 12, 2021 at 7 p.m.
Part II “Going Beyond” on February 9, 2021 at 7 p.m.
(See webinar page for access to workshop videos)
Mock Interview Volunteers
Several PMEA members have indicated they are interested and available to serve as “virtual employment screeners” for interview practice workshops of music education majors. Higher Education members or PCMEA chapter advisors should contact these people directly for their help in mock “question and answer” sessions to help prepare collegiates for marketing themselves during the coming job search process. (Please email Paul Fox if you would like your name and email added to this list.)
- Corey Bartell
- Tina Bennett
- Rick Coulter
- John D’Ascenzo
- David Deitz
- Paul Fox
- Matthew Harris
- Dan Kershetsky
- Byron Mikesell
- Marty Ort
- Henry Pearlberg
- Bill Powers
- Eric Plum
Feel free to contact these volunteer specialists for inquiries or additional information:
- Sue Basalik: Technology
- Nora Burridge: high school prep for becoming a music education major
- Debbie Chrisman: Elementary Band and Strings
- David Deitz: PDE, data/research
- Craig Denison: PCMEA, data/research, music education, music psychology
- Paul Doerksen: pre-service training, student teaching
- Paul Fox: ethics, retirement, pre-service training
- Kathleen Melago: Society for Music Teacher Training
- Susan Metelsky: TRI-M
- Teri Myers: mentoring, job shadowing, webinars
- Susanna Caudell Sonnenberg: remote/virtual music lessons
“New Realities in Teacher Training” SEADAE, PAEA, and PSBA Conference Handout (2018)
The following resources are provided for students (and their teachers) to assist in the pre-college training and preparation of potential future music education majors.
- What College Admissions Officers Want by Lori Schwartz Reichl (InTune Magazine/October 2019)
- Preparing for a Music Education Major – Guide for HS Students and Counselors
- Resources for Prospective HS Students Planning to Become Music Educators
- So You Want to Be a Music Education Major
- So You Have a Student Who Wants to Follow in Our Footsteps
- Have You Considered Becoming a Music Education Major?
- So You Want to Become a Music Major
- Two-page flier “Prepping for Music Education” (for HS students and their directors)
- PCMEA video “Advice from the Collegiates” (for HS students planning to major in music education)
Catalog of supplemental materials for music teacher training, recruitment, and retention:
- Report to PMEA State Board (May 30, 2022)
- Minutes and slides of presentation “What in the World Is Council TTRR” at PMEA Annual Conference (April 7, 2022)
- Report to PMEA State Board (January 8, 2022)
- Minutes to Council TTRR Online Meeting (October 24, 2021)
- Slides to Council TTRR Online Meeting (October 24, 2021)
- Report to the PMEA State Board (July 20, 2021)
- For the Good of the Order eBulletin (March 29, 2021)
- For the Good of the Order eBulletin (February 7, 2021)
- Report to the PMEA State Board (January 9, 2021)
- For the Good of the Order eBulletin (August 9, 2020)
- Report to the PMEA State Board (July 20, 2020)
- For the Good of the Order eBulletin (May 24, 2020)
- Minutes to Council TTRR Online Meeting (April 26, 2020)
- For the Good of the Order eBulletin (March 19, 2020)
- Report to the PMEA State Board (January 11, 2020)