Who Are We?
The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) is a statewide nonprofit organization of over 3,700 members, dedicated to promoting the musical development of all Pennsylvanians. The present membership evolved from a small group of band directors dating from 1933. Today, the organization includes those engaged in music instruction at all levels, from preschool through college and university, as well as those in the music industry, merchandising and publishing. The organization promotes and supports quality music education, learning and performance as well as promoting and supporting music education in schools and communities. PMEA is affiliated with The National Association for Music Education, NAfME.
We envision a world of engaged musical citizens where a deep desire to learn, teach, connect through, and experience music is advanced.
The Pennsylvania Music Educators Association advances comprehensive and innovative music education through promoting effective instruction, providing meaningful learning experiences, and ensuring impactful and equitable music engagement for all.
PMEA will actively promote the value of music education and the right for all students to have access to music education.
- Work with PDE in creating awareness and education on the implementation of the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Empower all music educators to be proactive advocates through opportunities and resources designed to build awareness of, increase access to, and promote the value of equitable, sequential, and high-quality music education
- Create and enhance relationships with agencies, associations, and organizations at the national, state, and local levels regarding advocacy, public policy, and programming
PMEA will promote an active community of preservice, current, and retired music educators.
- Recruiting new music teacher members
- Connecting with and mentoring college music education majors and new hires
- Encouraging communication and interaction among music educators
- Training new and existing members on how best to utilize their membership
PMEA will revisit organizational practices to ensure effective administration.
- Ensure a practice of regular evaluation and revision
- Maintain accountability of defined roles and responsibilities through an outline of annual tasks and communications
- Regularly communicate and clarify the intention of processes and practices
- Provide transparency through enhanced accessibility of resources and materials