2023-24 PMEA Composition Program Information
PMEA is pleased to once again sponsor a composition program for PMEA members and their students in conjunction with the 2024 PMEA Annual In-service Conference, April 17-20 at the Bayfront Convention Center in Erie. There are four categories for students (ES, MS, HS & PCMEA), two categories for members, as well as an open track for all ages. Selected compositions will be featured during the annual conference. All applicants will receive feedback on their compositions.
The purpose of the composition program is to promote and encourage composers of all ages to create music and to explore the way that sounds are put together in an appropriate way. Many future composers are today’s music students and PMEA members, and we are striving to encourage everyone to try their hand at composing.
*Please note that previous composition awardees may not submit a composition in the same genre in which they were recognized in consecutive years, however a composition in a different genre may be submitted. Only one composition may be submitted per person in each applicable category.
Compositions are evaluated on the following:
- Creative Use of Elements in Music
- Playability of the Composition (i.e. all voice/instrument parts are in appropriate range)
- Appropriate Use of Voice and/or Instruments (range, texture, tone color, text, if applicable)
- Compositional Technique & Development
- Presentation (correct musical notation)
The “window of opportunity” to complete the Application and submit your composition online is now open and will close on Wednesday (11:59 p.m.), December 6. All entries must be submitted by December 6, 2023.
Specific information for each program level is available below.
- Elementary Level Information/Criteria
- Middle School Level Information/Criteria
- High School Level Information/Criteria
- PCMEA Level Information/Criteria
- PMEA Member Written for ES/MS Ensembles Information/Criteria
- PMEA Member Level Information/Criteria
- Open Track Information/Criteria
- Application for all levels
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org