Awards & Recognition Forms
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program Information (rolling deadline)
Awards & Recognition Offerings
- Honorary Membership and Honorary Life Membership
- Members of 25 years or more are recommended by individual districts and then sent to the state executive board for approval. The state board may approve one application per year.
- Irene R. Christman Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to an outstanding All-State student who will be attending college to major in music education. Established in 1997. The 2023 scholarship will be awarded to a senior student selected to one of the six PMEA All-State Ensembles.
- James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award (Deadline to Submit – December 5, 2022)
- Award given to a PMEA member who has served the association at the State Level. Other criteria may include length of service, multiple PMEA state level offices, NAfME Eastern Division, and/or National Offices. Named for James R. Stewart, past PMEA State President.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program
- To provide grants to qualifying PMEA members who require funding for professional development, resources, equipment, or creative projects which will enhance music instruction, student learning and forward the mission of PMEA (Rolling application deadline)
- PMEA Citation of Excellence (Deadline to Submit – December 5, 2022)
- On a two year rotation between elementary or middle/junior high and high school or college/university. The Citation of Excellence is awarded to PMEA members who have made lasting contributions in their area of teaching. The 2023 Award will be given to educators at the high school/college level.
- PMEA Hall of Fame (Deadline to Submit – December 5, 2022)
- Established July 2008 to honor music educators who, by virtue of their contributions, are recognized as being the most highly regarded professional leaders in music education in the state of Pennsylvania.
- PMEA Outstanding Superintendent Award (Deadline to Submit – December 5, 2022)
- To honor a superintendent in Pennsylvania that has supported music education in their school district.
- PMEA Outstanding Young Music Educator (Deadline to Submit – December 5, 2022)
- Award created to honor an outstanding young PMEA member music educator within their first 3-5 years of teaching for their contributions to music education and PMEA.
- PMEA 25 Years of Teaching Recognition (Deadline to Submit – January 9, 2023)
- PMEA recognizes members, elementary through college/university music educators, who are in their 25th year of teaching (or beyond their 25th year) with at least 15 years of teaching in Pennsylvania. (Person must currently be a PMEA member, however does not need to have been a PMEA member for 25 years.)
- Sammy Nestico – composer*
- Vaclav Nelhybel – composer*
Honorary Life Membership
- A.D. Davenport*
- Russell E. Shuttlesworth*
- Ronald C. Teare*
- W. Fred Orth*
- Maurice Taylor
- Irene R. Christman*
- Frederick DelMonte*
- Carmen Culp*
- Marie Weber
*denotes deceased recipient