PMEA Composition Program
2017 PMEA Composition Program Information
PMEA will once again sponsor a composition program for PMEA members and their students, in conjunction with the 2017 PMEA Annual Conference, April 19 – 22 in Erie. The program will be divided into five categories with the winning compositions presented during the 2017 PMEA conference. The purpose of the composition program is to promote and encourage composers of all ages to create music and to explore the way that sounds are put together in an appropriate way. Many future composers are today’s music students and members and we are striving to encourage everyone to try their hand at composing.
For both categories, Elementary (grades k – 5) and Middle School (grades 6 – 8), the composition should be written for at least* a Solo Instrument (instrument or voice) with piano accompaniment or Small Instrumental Ensemble. The require time will remain the same between three and five minutes in length.
For the High School Category (grades 9 – 12), this year’s requirement is an original composition for at least* a small ensemble. This could be a Woodwind or Brass Quintet, a string quartet, a Percussion Ensemble (4 – 6 parts) or a Four-part Choral with piano accompaniment (with original text or borrowed text (credit must be given)), and be between four and six minutes in length.
The PCMEA Category (undergraduate only) and the category for PMEA Members, who are not published should be between six and eight minutes in length and should be written for a Large Ensemble. This can be for Concert Band, Full Symphonic Orchestra, Percussion Ensemble (10 or more parts), Full Jazz Ensemble or Eight-Part Choral (with original text or borrowed text (credit must be given)) with accompaniment (must include piano, other instruments can be included).
Your “window of opportunity” to complete the application and submit your composition online will be from Friday, October 28 to Friday, December 2, 2016. All entries must be submitted by the end of the day December 2, 2016. Questions? Please contact PMEA Composition Program Chair Lori Luurtsema. All members and their students are encouraged to submit compositions.
*This is the minimum requirement. Compositions for larger ensembles will also be accepted.
Composition Program Information by Category:
- Original Composition Contest- ES Rules 2016-2017 / Submission Link
- Original Composition Contest- MS Rules 2016-2017 / Submission Link
- Original Composition Contest- HS Rules 2016-2017 / Submission Link
- Original Composition Contest- PCMEA Rules 2016-2017 / Submission Link
- Original Composition Contest- Adult Rules 2016-2017 / Submission Link
Congratulations to the 2016 PMEA Composition Program awardees:
- MS Level – “Moods” by J. Oliver Choo, Winchester Thurston School
- HS Level – “Scherzo Villano” by Daniel DiMarino, Owen J. Roberts HS
- HS Level – “String Quartet No. 1” by Mitchell McVeigh, McDowell HS
- PMEA Member – “Exultation for Band” by David J. Overholtzer, Perkiomen Valley HS
- PMEA Member – “A Fleeting Moment” by Robert Traugh, Kiski Area SD
Congratulations also to Sophie Wen, Joseph P. Liberati Int. School, for her composition “Kaye’s Latern” which was recognized at the 2015 NAfME National Conference.