Awards & Recognition Forms
2017 PMEA Awards/Scholarships Nominations
*The general guidelines for each award/scholarship are listed when each link is selected, however nominators will need to sign up for a Submittable account (will take one minute) in order to complete the application as this program will allow you to save the application and access it at a later time.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program Information (rolling deadline)
Awards & Recognitions
- Honorary Membership and Honorary Life Membership
- Members of 25 years or more are recommended by individual districts and then sent to the state executive board for approval. The state board may approve one application per year
- Irene R. Christman Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to an outstanding All State student who will be attending college to major in music education. Applications are available online; deadline in March (varies depending on dates of Annual In-Service Conference/All State. Established in 1997.
- James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award
- Award given to someone who has served PMEA at the State Level. Other criteria may include length of service, multiple PMEA state level offices, NAfME Eastern Division, and/or National Offices. Named for James R. Stewart, past PMEA State President.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program
- To provide grants to qualifying PMEA members who require funding for professional development, resources, equipment, or creative projects which will enhance music instruction, student learning and forward the mission of PMEA (Rolling application deadline)
- PMEA Jazz Scholarship
- Money was given to PMEA by the PA unit of IAJE to be used for scholarships for Jazz students. It was agreed that a $1000.00 scholarship would be given each year to a student in an All State Jazz Ensemble (Instrumental or Vocal).
- PMEA Hall of Fame
- Established July 2008 to honor music educators who, by virtue of their contributions, are recognized as being the most highly regarded professional leaders in music edcuation in the state of Pennsylvania. The submission deadline has passed for the 2017 recognition.
- PMEA Outstanding Young Music Educator
- Award created to honor an outstanding young music educator within their first 3-5 years of teaching for their contributions to music education and PMEA. The submission deadline has passed for the 2017 recognition.
- PMEA Outstanding Superintendent Award
- To honor a superintendent in Pennsylvania that has supported music education in his/her school district. The submission deadline has passed for the 2017 recognition.
- PMEA Citation of Excellence
- On a four year rotation between elementary, middle/junior high, high school, any level (college included). The Citation of Excellence award recipients have made lasting contributions in their area of teaching. The 2017 Award will be given to educators at the middle/junior high school level. The submission deadline has passed for the 2017 recognition.
- PMEA 25 Years of Teaching Recognition
- Were you a first year teacher in the fall of 1991 or prior to that time? PMEA recognizes music teachers, elementary through college/university, who have taught 25 years (or more) with at least 15 years of teaching in Pennsylvania. (Person must currently be a PMEA member, however does not need to have been a PMEA member for 25 years.) Recipients will be recognized at the Thursday evening featured concert during the 2017 PMEA Annual Conference (April 20). *Recipients must be present at the concert on Thursday, April 20 in order to accept the award, or have a colleague present to accept on their behalf. The deadline has passed at this time.
- Sammy Nestico – composer
- Vaclav Nelhybel – composer*
Honorary Life Membership
- A.D. Davenport*
- Russell E. Shuttlesworth*
- Ronald C. Teare*
- W. Fred Orth*
- Maurice Taylor
- Irene R. Christman*
- Frederick DelMonte*
- Carmen Culp