Citation of Excellence in Teaching
- District 1: Michael Rozell, Belle Vernon Area SD
- District 2: Chris Gankosky, St. Marys Area HS
- District 3: Tina Bennett, Clarion-Limestone Area SD
- District 4: Nin Hiles, Huntingdon Area HS
- District 5: Samantha Leali, Shenango JSHS
- District 6: Michael Kokus, Cambria Heights SD
- District 7: Matthew Barr, Kennard-Dale HS, South Eastern SD
- District 8: Kent Weaver, Williamsport Area HS
- District 9: Ann Manganiello, Holy Redeemer School
- District 11: Brian Cox, Central Bucks HS South
- District 12: Lisa Bennett, Pennsylvania Leadership CS
Hall of Fame
- Robert Dell, Retired, Carnegie Mellon University
- Paul Gerlach, Retired, Carnegie Mellon University
- Ronald Schafer, Retired, Derry Township SD
- Richard Victor, Retired, State College Area SD
- A.D. Davenport
- Irene Christman
James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award
- Doug Bolasky, Retired, Southern Lehigh SD
- Jerri Lippert, West Allegheny SD
Outstanding Young Educator
- James Nackley, Northeastern SD
Awards & Recognition Forms
2021 PMEA Awards/Scholarships Nominations
*Information can be found below.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program Information (rolling deadline)
Awards & Recognition Offerings
- Honorary Membership and Honorary Life Membership
- Members of 25 years or more are recommended by individual districts and then sent to the state executive board for approval. The state board may approve one application per year.
- Irene R. Christman Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to an outstanding All-State student who will be attending college to major in music education. Established in 1997. The 2021 scholarship will be awarded to a senior student selected to one of the six virtual All-State Ensembles.
- James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award
- Award given to a PMEA member who has served the association at the State Level. Other criteria may include length of service, multiple PMEA state level offices, NAfME Eastern Division, and/or National Offices. Named for James R. Stewart, past PMEA State President.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program
- To provide grants to qualifying PMEA members who require funding for professional development, resources, equipment, or creative projects which will enhance music instruction, student learning and forward the mission of PMEA (Rolling application deadline)
- PMEA Hall of Fame
- Established July 2008 to honor music educators who, by virtue of their contributions, are recognized as being the most highly regarded professional leaders in music education in the state of Pennsylvania.
- PMEA Outstanding Young Music Educator
- Award created to honor an outstanding young PMEA member music educator within their first 3-5 years of teaching for their contributions to music education and PMEA.
- PMEA Outstanding Superintendent Award
- To honor a superintendent in Pennsylvania that has supported music education in his/her school district.
- PMEA Citation of Excellence
- On a two year rotation between elementary or middle/junior high and high school or college/university. The Citation of Excellence is awarded to PMEA members who have made lasting contributions in their area of teaching. The 2021 Award will be given to educators at the High School or College/University Level.
- PMEA 25 Years of Teaching Recognition
- Were you a first year teacher in the fall of 1995 or prior to that time? PMEA recognizes members, elementary through college/university music educators, who have taught 25 years (or more) with at least 15 years of teaching in Pennsylvania. (Person must currently be a PMEA member, however does not need to have been a PMEA member for 25 years.)
- Sammy Nestico – composer*
- Vaclav Nelhybel – composer*
Honorary Life Membership
- A.D. Davenport*
- Russell E. Shuttlesworth*
- Ronald C. Teare*
- W. Fred Orth*
- Maurice Taylor
- Irene R. Christman*
- Frederick DelMonte*
- Carmen Culp*
- Marie Weber
*denotes deceased recipient