Awards & Recognition Forms
2022 PMEA Awards/Scholarships Nominations
*Applications are currently being accepted for: Citation of Excellence (Elementary/Middle School Level), Hall of Fame, James R. Stewart Distinguished Service, Outstanding Superintendent & Outstanding Young Educator. Deadline to submit for these applications is 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, December 15.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program Information (rolling deadline)
Awards & Recognition Offerings
- Honorary Membership and Honorary Life Membership
- Members of 25 years or more are recommended by individual districts and then sent to the state executive board for approval. The state board may approve one application per year.
- Irene R. Christman Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to an outstanding All-State student who will be attending college to major in music education. Established in 1997. The 2021 scholarship will be awarded to a senior student selected to one of the six virtual All-State Ensembles.
- James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award
- Award given to a PMEA member who has served the association at the State Level. Other criteria may include length of service, multiple PMEA state level offices, NAfME Eastern Division, and/or National Offices. Named for James R. Stewart, past PMEA State President. Deadline to submit – Dec. 15, 2021.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program
- To provide grants to qualifying PMEA members who require funding for professional development, resources, equipment, or creative projects which will enhance music instruction, student learning and forward the mission of PMEA (Rolling application deadline)
- PMEA Citation of Excellence
- On a two year rotation between elementary or middle/junior high and high school or college/university. The Citation of Excellence is awarded to PMEA members who have made lasting contributions in their area of teaching. The 2022 Award will be given to educators at the Elementary or Middle School level. Deadline to submit – Dec. 15, 2021.
- PMEA Hall of Fame
- Established July 2008 to honor music educators who, by virtue of their contributions, are recognized as being the most highly regarded professional leaders in music education in the state of Pennsylvania. Deadline to submit – Dec. 15, 2021.
- PMEA Outstanding Superintendent Award
- To honor a superintendent in Pennsylvania that has supported music education in his/her school district. Deadline to submit – Dec. 15, 2021.
- PMEA Outstanding Young Music Educator
- Award created to honor an outstanding young PMEA member music educator within their first 3-5 years of teaching for their contributions to music education and PMEA. Deadline to submit – Dec. 15, 2021.
- PMEA 25 Years of Teaching Recognition
- Were you a first year teacher in the fall of 1997 or prior to that time? PMEA recognizes members, elementary through college/university music educators, who have taught 25 years (or more) with at least 15 years of teaching in Pennsylvania. (Person must currently be a PMEA member, however does not need to have been a PMEA member for 25 years.) Deadline to submit – Tuesday, February 1, 2022.
- Sammy Nestico – composer*
- Vaclav Nelhybel – composer*
Honorary Life Membership
- A.D. Davenport*
- Russell E. Shuttlesworth*
- Ronald C. Teare*
- W. Fred Orth*
- Maurice Taylor
- Irene R. Christman*
- Frederick DelMonte*
- Carmen Culp*
- Marie Weber
*denotes deceased recipient