Awards & Recognition Forms
2020 PMEA Awards/Scholarships Nominations
*Information can be found below.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program Information (rolling deadline)
Awards & Recognition Offerings
- Honorary Membership and Honorary Life Membership
- Members of 25 years or more are recommended by individual districts and then sent to the state executive board for approval. The state board may approve one application per year.
- Irene R. Christman Scholarship
- The scholarship is presented to an outstanding All-State student who will be attending college to major in music education. Established in 1997. The 2021 scholarship will be awarded to a senior student selected to one of the six virtual All-State Ensembles.
- James R. Stewart Distinguished Service Award
- Award given to a PMEA member who has served the association at the State Level. Other criteria may include length of service, multiple PMEA state level offices, NAfME Eastern Division, and/or National Offices. Named for James R. Stewart, past PMEA State President. The recipient will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- Margaret S. Bauer Grant Program
- To provide grants to qualifying PMEA members who require funding for professional development, resources, equipment, or creative projects which will enhance music instruction, student learning and forward the mission of PMEA (Rolling application deadline)
- PMEA Hall of Fame
- Established July 2008 to honor music educators who, by virtue of their contributions, are recognized as being the most highly regarded professional leaders in music edcuation in the state of Pennsylvania. Recipients will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- PMEA Outstanding Young Music Educator
- Award created to honor an outstanding young PMEA member music educator within their first 3-5 years of teaching for their contributions to music education and PMEA. The recipient will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- PMEA Outstanding Superintendent Award
- To honor a superintendent in Pennsylvania that has supported music education in his/her school district. The recipient will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- PMEA Citation of Excellence
- On a two year rotation between elementary or middle/junior high and high school or college/university. The Citation of Excellence is awarded to PMEA members who have made lasting contributions in their area of teaching. The 2021 Award will be given to educators at the High School or College/University Level. Awardees (one from each district of PMEA) will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- PMEA 25 Years of Teaching Recognition
- Were you a first year teacher in the fall of 1995 or prior to that time? PMEA recognizes members, elementary through college/university music educators, who have taught 25 years (or more) with at least 15 years of teaching in Pennsylvania. (Person must currently be a PMEA member, however does not need to have been a PMEA member for 25 years.) Recipients will be recognized during the 2021 PMEA Virtual Conference, April 15-17.
- Sammy Nestico – composer
- Vaclav Nelhybel – composer*
Honorary Life Membership
- A.D. Davenport*
- Russell E. Shuttlesworth*
- Ronald C. Teare*
- W. Fred Orth*
- Maurice Taylor
- Irene R. Christman*
- Frederick DelMonte*
- Carmen Culp*
- Marie Weber