(Updated July 14, 2014)
Welcome to PMEA’s Internet Job Bank. This page contains a listing of jobs of interest to PMEA members. If there is a job in your district, please e-mail an announcement to one of the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include contact information and deadlines. Allow a couple of days for updates to appear.
David Weiss, PMEA News Editor
Elementary Instrumental Music Teacher
The Tri-Valley School District is now accepting applications for an Elementary Instrumental Music Teacher – Part-time .6 (3 days/wk) – position beginning the 2014-15 school year. Send letter of interest, resume, Standard PA Teaching Application, transcripts, copy of PA Teaching Certificate, Act 34, 114, 151, & PDE-6004 clearances to:
Deadline: Prior to July 31, 2014
School District of Philadelphia
Title: Teacher, Music, K-12 (Bilingual)
Department: Chief Academic Office
Reports To: School Principal
Plans and teaches music, following the scope and sequence for all courses, to K-12 students. Develops student’s academic skills through academic courses of study and implementation District approved curriculum. Documents teaching and student progress, activities, and outcomes. Address specific educational needs of students. Provides a safe and optimal learning environment, and provide feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations and goals. Use of formal and informal classroom and District music assessments. Stays abreast of the latest developments and improvements in education as if affects the music K-12 program.
- Advises parents and/or legal guardians of student progress for the purpose of supporting teacher’s expectations, developing methods for improvement and/or reinforcing classroom goals in the home environment.
- Assesses students for the purpose of providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding students’ progress, expectations and goals.
- Assists other teachers for the purpose of implementing curriculum.
- Collaborates with school personnel, parents and various community agencies for the purpose of improving the quality of student outcomes, developing solutions and planning curriculum.
- Demonstrates methods required to perform assignments and/or skills for the purpose of providing the students with the necessary skills to perform the tasks safely and/or accurately.
- Directs instructional assistants, volunteers and/or student aides for the purpose of providing an effective school program and addressing the needs of individual students.
- Instructs students for the purpose of improving their success in academics through a defined course of study.
- Monitors student activities for the purpose of proving a safe and optimal learning environment.
- Prepares teaching materials and reports for the purpose of implementing lesson plans and providing documentation of teacher and student progress.
- Reports incidents for the purpose of maintaining personal safety of students, proving learning environment and adhering to Education Code, District and/or school policies.
For the Bilingual Specialty
- Performs the above mentioned duties.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of:
- the principles, practices and methods of music.
- the contents, materials, methodologies and practices utilized in music
- classic and contemporary readings aligned to subject matter.
- authentic performance assessment principles,
- Demonstrated ability to:
- use a personal computer and spreadsheets and word processing software applications.
- select and organize curriculum content and to apply appropriate instructional methods.
- implement assessment tools for effective student evaluations.
- communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- establish effective working relationships.
For the Bilingual Specialty
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- speak English and the appropriate foreign language fluently.
- to read and write English and the appropriate foreign language.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Possession of a valid Commonwealth of Pennsylvania instructional certificate in Music
Applicants can send their resumes to Monique Cureton at email@example.com
Part Time Middle and Upper School Accompanist/Assistant Conductor
Part Time Middle and Upper School Voice Teacher
(can be combined or separated with above position)
Friends’ Central School, a N-12 Friends school located in the Philadelphia suburbs, seeks a part-time Middle and Upper School Accompanist/Assistant Conductor to assist the Choral Director. The School seeks candidates who are flexible, child-focused, and collaborative.
In accordance with principles of Quaker pedagogy, teachers at Friends’ Central are dedicated to creating and nurturing mutually-respectful and fully-engaged classroom communities. Academic departments meet regularly and work collaboratively. A learning community founded on Quaker values relies on the commitment of all its members for its success.
These positions could be filled by the same teacher or shared between two teachers.
• Accompany Middle School and Upper School Choruses. MS chorus consists of approximately 50 students in grades 6-8. US chorus consists of approximately 80 students in grades 9-12. Choruses are open to all students without audition. The choruses each perform in two concerts annually; one in December and one in April/May. Candidate should be comfortable leading warm ups and sectional rehearsals.
• Rehearse and conduct small auditioned vocal group of Upper School students
• Teach private voice lessons to students in grades 6-12 (approximately six to eight 35-minute lessons per week – schedule is mutually determined by teacher and student)
• Experience teaching teenagers
• Excellent sight-reading ability and broad knowledge of age-appropriate solo vocal and choral repertoire
Bachelors or Graduate level degree in Music Education, Voice or Piano Performance, Choral Conducting, or related area of study
Friends’ Central School seeks candidates with a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning community, who will address issues of diversity, as well as enhance the Philosophy of Inclusivity and Awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
TITLE: Music Teacher / Band Director(effective September 1, 2014)
DESCRIPTION: Direct and manage a high school instrumental program of 350 students. Be able to work with all levels of Concert Band. Be able to conduct a high quality Wind Ensemble and assist with vocal/choral or string classes. Must be able to work in a collaborative environment with teaching partners. Be responsible for a competitive Marching Band program of 200 students. Willingness and ability to commit to the time demands of a rigorous extracurricular schedule. Support Jazz Bands, Chamber Ensembles, and Winter Percussion.
QUALIFICATIONS:New Jersey Teacher of Music Certification. Primary instrument, Brass preferred. Experience teaching both small and large groups. Ability to work with students at all musical levels.
SALARY: Per negotiated contract.
Applicants should apply online atwww.sbschools.org/departments/
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Sales and Development Representative
Steinway Piano Gallery Pittsburgh, the exclusive Steinway & Sons representative in Western Pennsylvania, is looking for an experienced, passionate, hard-working, self-motivated, organized individual to serve the institutional and retail needs of our region. Musical background preferred. Competitive compensation and benefits. Please send resume to rheer@steinwaypittsburgh.
Recreational Arts, Inc., a Performing Arts educational non-profit organization, seeks a Musical Theatre Teaching Artist who sings and plays the piano. Positions in multiple Pittsburgh locations, and in State College, PA are available for 1-6 six weeks. Teachers provide their own transportation to campsites. Visit www.rexarts.orgto learn about our organization. To inquire about the position, or to apply, contact Artistic Director Nathan Brewer by e-mailing Nathan@rexarts.org.
Other Teaching jobs in Pennsylvania may be found on the PA School Boards Association Web-Site.