Future Music Educators Honors Symposium
Program for High School Seniors at the PMEA Conference in Erie, April 20 – 22, 2017
- For – Pennsylvania High School Seniors who have been accepted at a college or university to major in music education. 12-20 students will be chosen from the applications submitted.
- Purpose – To present a series of experiences within these students’ chosen career path, in a professional setting. Students will be making connections with their future peers and mentors, creating a support system for their career preparation, and having opportunities to discuss and reflect on all aspects of their future careers with college music education majors and professional educators.
- When – Running concurrently with the 2017 PMEA In-service Conference, ending with attendance at the All-State Concert Saturday afternoon, April 22. Chaperoned housing overnight at the Erie Courtyard Marriott.
- Cost – $375. To be paid by sponsoring school district, or booster group, or possible scholarship from student’s TRI-M chapter or PMEA District, or individual family. A student accepted for this program, with his/her sponsoring HS director/PMEA member’s help and advice, is responsible for payment of fee.
- Evidence of acceptance into a college program for music education, letters of recommendation, personal statement, copy of grades, cumulative average and class rank, and sponsorship by his/her PMEA HS director are required in the Online Application.
- Application Deadline – March 17, 2017
- Conflict of Opportunity – If a student chosen for this program also qualifies for an All-State performing ensemble, he/she will have the opportunity to choose which program to accept.
The Deadline for submissions to the 2017 Future Music Educators Honors Symposium has passed at this time. All applicants can expect notification by the end of March/ Early April (no later than Friday, April 7).