The 2019 NAfME Eastern Division Honors Ensemble Festival will take place April 4-7 in Pittsburgh. Please see all the pertinent information below. Questions – please contact Dennis Emert, All East Ensembles Manager: email@example.com
- All-Eastern Concert Band Roster
- All-Eastern Jazz Ensemble Roster
- Bridge Under Construction Performance Notes
- Bridge Under Construction MP3
- All-Eastern Orchestra Roster
- All-Eastern Mixed Chorus Roster
- All-Eastern Treble Chorus Roster
Frequently Asked Questions:
When do students need to register? Registration will take place on Thursday, April 4 from Noon – 2:30 p.m. Registration will take place at the hotel where the ensemble in which the student is participating will be housed/rehearsed.
Who should fill out the Director Acknowledgement Form? This form is to be completed by the student’s director to indicate who will be traveling to and from the festival with the student(s) from their school. If no one will be attending with the student, the director should write No One or the student’s name where that question is asked.
I’m an instrumental student. When will seating auditions be held? Instrumental students (concert band and orchestra ensembles only) will audition via Submittable (same online platform as the application process) between March 1 and March 7, 2019. The audition material will be chosen from the music in the folder. The specific passage(s) being used will be shared when the submission window opens up. Students choosing not to audition will be placed at the end of the section.
What should the students wear during the festival? REHEARSALS – Rehearsals – School clothes: fully covered upper torso (no tube tops, belly shirts). Pajamas are not acceptable. CONCERT: White dress shirt, long plain dark tie, plain dark jacket and trousers, plain dark suit, or tuxedo; Long-Sleeved black blouse and floor-length black skirt or Long-Sleeved floor-length black dress. Skirts or dresses should be worn with black hose. Black dress shoes: no boots, clogs, sneakers or high heels.
What equipment do students need to bring? Students must bring their own instrument, accessories (reeds, strings, mutes, cello floor boards, etc.), and music stand. Stands will not be available for rehearsals. Please mark all equipment with the student’s name and address. Percussionists will be notified as to what equipment will be necessary to bring. Large items will be provided. Please use every precaution to protect your equipment and luggage. NAfME/PMEA and the 2019 All-Eastern Honors Ensembles Committee accept no responsibility for lost, damaged, or stolen articles. Your belongings are your responsibility. You are required to complete the online instrument responsibility form (https://pmea.wufoo.com/forms/2019-alleast-instrument-responsibility/).
When will the All-East ensembles perform? The All-East Jazz Ensemble will perform with the PMEA All-State Vocal Jazz & Jazz Ensembles on Saturday, April 6 at 7:30 p.m. (the concert will conclude around 10 – 10:30 p.m.) The All-East Treble & Mixed Choirs will perform at 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 7 (the concert will conclude between 11:30 a.m. & Noon). The All-East Band and Orchestra will perform at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 7 (the concert will conclude between 4 & 4:30 p.m.) *Please note that all concerts will take place in the Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
When will students be released from the festival? Students will be released to their families/NAfME member director at the immediate conclusion of the ensemble concert in which they are participating.
How far is the Pittsburgh International Airport from Downtown Pittsburgh? The airport is approximately 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. Please allot for at least 30 minutes of travel time. Please see the Pittsburgh Airport Transportation Discount Information for options to get from and back to the airport.
Where do we go to order tickets for the All-East Concerts? All tickets are being sold online and can be purchased here: https://www.ticketor.
I’m a director – how do I register for the PMEA/NAfME Eastern Division Conference? Online Registration is now closed. Registrations can be completed on-site at the on-site rates. **Please note that PMEA cannot accept Purchase Orders without payment**
ALL-EASTERN FESTIVAL 2019 GENERAL INFORMATION (Found in the student’s music folder)
STUDENT REGISTRATION: Will take place on Thursday, April 4, 2019, at the hotels where each ensemble will be housed and rehearsed for the festival, between the hours of 12 noon and 2:30 p.m. It is strongly encouraged that each student’s school director/teacher accompany him/her to and from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. A parent/guardian, administrator, neighboring school director or other responsible adult may also fill this role. This person is encouraged to escort the student to the honors group’s on-site registration and can be the adult point of contact for the student throughout the conference. If the director is unable to attend, the student’s parent/guardian or a responsible adult may also fill this role. ALL STUDENTS will be housed by ensemble at the hotels listed below. (Parents and directors accompanying students to the event must make their own housing arrangements.)
- Jazz – Omni William Penn Hotel, 530 Wm. Penn Pl, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, 412-281-7100
- Mixed Chorus and Treble Chorus – Wyndham Grand, 600 Commonwealth PL, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, 412- 391-4600
- Concert Band– Marriott City Center, 112 Washington Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219; 412-471-4000
- Orchestra- Westin Hotel, 1000 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222, 412-281-3700
TRANSPORTATION: Transportation to and from the conference site is the responsibility of each student. Please note: Students are not allowed to drive to, from, or during the event. The Pittsburgh International Airport is approximately 30 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. For airport information, call (412) 472-3525 or visit web site http://www.flypittsburgh.com. Rail service into Union Station is available by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL. Bus transportation is also available; for information, call 412-392-6514 (55 11th St.) Students may be expected to walk to rehearsals and events. If you require special accommodations, please note your specific needs on the Emergency Medical Care Form.
SEATING AUDITIONS: Instrumental students (concert band and orchestra ensembles only) will audition via Submittable (same online platform as the application process) between March 1 and March 7, 2019. The audition material will be chosen from the music in the folder. Students choosing not to audition will be placed at the end of the section.
DIRECTOR ALL-EASTERN CONFERENCE REGISTRATION
- Pre-registration is now closed. Conference Registration will open at 7:00 AM Thursday, April 4.
GENERAL INFORMATION: www.pmea.net/eastern-division-ensemble-information Students, Parents and Directors may access the above link without a Log-In.
- PMEA will provide dinner for all ensembles on Thursday, April 4. There will be NO food available at the student hotel upon returning from the concert on Thursday evening. Students are encouraged to bring their own snacks!
- Students are NOT permitted in the hotel lobbies after returning each night. They are to go directly to their assigned rooms and follow chaperone instructions.
- THURSDAY EVENING- April 4- ALL students will attend the Pittsburgh Symphony Concert at Heinz Hall.
- FRIDAY EVENING- April 5– ALL students will attend the US Navy Band and Chorus Concert at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
- SATURDAY EVENING – April 6 – ALL students will attend the PMEA All-State Jazz & NAfME All-East Jazz Concert at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center.
CONCERT/TICKET INFORMATION- SATURDAY, APRIL 6 (Jazz) and SUNDAY, APRIL 7 (Mixed Choir, Treble Choir, Band and Orchestra)
- Concert ticket information including the online order link, recording and photography order forms are included in the student folder as well as on the Eastern Division Honors Ensembles website: www.pmea.net/eastern-division-ensemble-information
- To ORDER TICKETS for NAfME ALL- EAST Concerts: https://www.ticketor.com/pmea All tickets are general admission seating and are available ONLINE up to the start of the concert. All tickets are non-refundable.
Saturday, April 6, 2019
- PMEA All-State JAZZ and NAfME All-East JAZZ- 7:30 pm
Sunday, April 7, 2019
- MIXED CHORUS and TREBLE CHORUS – 10 a.m.
- BAND and ORCHESTRA – 2:30 p.m.
PERFORMANCE VENUE for PMEA All-State Concerts and NAfME All-East Concerts
David L. Lawrence Convention Center (Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom)
1000 Ft. Duquesne Blvd. Pittsburgh, PA 15222
- REHEARSALS – Rehearsals – School clothes: fully covered upper torso (no tube tops, belly shirts). Pajamas are not acceptable.
- CONCERT: White dress shirt, long plain dark tie, plain dark jacket and trousers, plain dark suit, or tuxedo; Long-Sleeved black blouse and floor-length black skirt or Long-Sleeved floor-length black dress. Skirts or dresses should be worn with black hose. Black dress shoes: no boots, clogs, sneakers or high heels.
Music: Please confirm receipt of music with your teacher/director. You are responsible for preparing assigned music prior to arriving in Pittsburgh. Seating Auditions for band and orchestra will be held via Submittable (online platform) prior to your arrival in Pittsburgh. More details will follow regarding the seating auditions. (No seating auditions will be held for Jazz, Mixed Chorus & Treble Chorus.)
Equipment: You must bring your own instrument, accessories (reeds, strings, mutes, cello floor boards, etc.), and music stand. Stands will not be available for rehearsals. Please mark all equipment with your name and address. Percussionists will be notified as to what equipment will be necessary to bring. Large items will be provided. Please use every precaution to protect your equipment and luggage. NAfME/PMEA and the 2019 All-Eastern Honors Ensembles Committee accept no responsibility for lost, damaged, or stolen articles. Your belongings are your responsibility. You are required to complete the online instrument responsibility form (https://pmea.wufoo.com/forms/2019-alleast-instrument-responsibility/).
- ALL MUSIC will be collected at the conclusion of each concert – you have been assigned a numbered folder and will be financially responsible ($50) for ANY music not returned (Xerox copies included) – any markings MUST be made in pencil.
REMEMBER, THIS IS AN EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE. ALL STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO FOLLOW ALL GUIDELINES SET FORTH BY THEIR HOSTS AND NAfME!!!
ENSEMBLE GROUP MANAGERS and CONTACT INFORMATION
- Band: Tim Sheridan, Greater Latrobe Senior High School, 571-651-5642; email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mixed Chorus: Lee Rickard, Pine-Richland High School, 412-219-9296; email, email@example.com
- Orchestra: Stephanie Glover, Bethel Park High School, 412-376-5721; email, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz Ensemble: Rob Traugh, Kiski Area Int. School, 724-633-7120; email, email@example.com
- Treble Chorus: Aaron Magill, Seneca Valley High School, 412-392-9791; email, PMEA.firstname.lastname@example.org
2019 NAFME All-Eastern Honors Ensembles Conductors
- Band: Brad Genevro, University of Texas at El Paso
- Mixed Chorus: Rollo Dilworth, Temple University
- Orchestra: Jung Ho Pak, Cape Cod Symphony Orchestra, World Youth Symphony Orchestra
- Jazz Ensemble: Denis DiBlasio, Rowan University
- Treble Chorus: Sandra Snow, Michigan State University
Documents and Forms
- Eastern Division News Release
- Eastern Division Acceptance Letter
- Eastern Division Selection Procedure
- Eastern Division Hotel Information
- 2019 All-East Student Medical Form
- 2019 All-East Medication Administration Form (if taking medication at the festival)
- 2019 All-East Dietary Needs Form (if applicable)
- 2019 All-East Instrument Responsibility Form
- 2019 All-East Student Policy Info
- 2019 PMEA Completed W-9
- Order Forms: